Meet our team. The Velos management team is a diverse, complementary partnership of thought leaders in healthcare information system architecture, Internet technology and medicine.
One of the founding members of Velos, Mr. McIlwain has served as Chairman and President from September 1996 to June 2000 and from July 2001 to present. Prior to working with Velos, he held a variety of executive management, consulting, finance and sales positions for companies such as Sun Microsystems and Price Waterhouse. Mr. McIlwain also served as Adjunct Professor of Management and Operations Science at Columbia University Graduate School of Business. Mr. McIlwain holds an MBA from the Columbia Graduate School of Business and a BA in English and Economics from Middlebury College.
Dr. Chahal brings nearly 30 years experience in surgery, healthcare informatics and clinical research strategies. One of Velos’ founding members, he has held several key roles since 1996, including Executive Vice President of both Operations and R&D, and Chief Technology Officer.
Dr. Chahal’s past accomplishments include:
- Serving as Director of Health Services for Software Services International, Inc.
- Providing consulting services to Merck & Company.
- Serving as resident and then practicing orthopedic/vascular surgeon in the National Health Service in London, England.
- Directing a primary care hospital in Punjab, India as a part of a WHO project.
Dr. Chahal holds an MBA from Columbia University, his Fellowship exams in Surgery from the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, Scotland, and an MD from the Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, India.
The newest addition to the Velos team, Mr. Aulakh has served as Chief Operating Officer since January 2010. Mr. Aulakh has an extensive background as an engineer, entrepreneur, and business leader in technology and healthcare, with a proven track record of establishing and managing technology ventures in the United States, Europe, Singapore and India.
Mr. Aulakh’s past accomplishments include:
- Serving as President and CEO of Quark, Inc., a leading developer of software solutions for professional publishers.
- Managing the development of technical products and services for corporations in the telecommunications, energy and healthcare industries.
- Founding companies that provide Internet-based subscription services for managing digital content, and automating and improving healthcare processes.
Mr. Aulakh has earned a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, a Master’s in Industrial Engineering, and an MBA.
Mr. Gopal has over 20 years experience in the IT industry with specialization in object technology, pattern recognition and artificial intelligence. He co-founded and currently serves as CEO of Aithent, Inc., and is a member of the Board of Directors of CareNet International in Japan. Mr. Gopal has worked with Fuji Xerox and Stanford Research International, and also as an adjunct professor at Columbia Business School. Mr. Gopal has an MBA from Columbia University, and a Bachelor’s and Master’s in Engineering from the Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan.
Mr. Raab brings 47 years of biopharmaceutical industry experience to Velos. Throughout his career, Mr. Raab has held positions as Vice President, President, Chief Operating Officer, Director, and Chief Executive Officer for a range of notable companies including Pfizer, Beecham Abbott Laboratories, Amgen and Genentech. Mr. Raab holds a BA with honors from Colgate University. He is an Honorary Fellow of Exeter College at Oxford University and a Forever Member of The Chancellor’s Court at Oxford University.
Mr. Rossiter is Principal of Rossiter LLC, a healthcare management consulting and business development company.
He has held a number of leadership positions, including:
- Division Manager for Siemens’ Digital Hospital Solutions
- President of New Era of Networks (now Sybase)
- President of CyberPlus Corporation
- Management positions at IBM Corporation, most recently as the Director of Clinical Solutions for the IBM Global Healthcare organization
- CEO of Velos, Inc.
Mr. Rossiter has a BS in Business Administration and Political Science from the University of New Hampshire.
Ms. Chapman has been an integral part of the Velos team since 1998, serving as Director for Velos prior to taking up in her current role in 2004. Before joining Velos, Ms. Chapman was the investor relations Coordinator for Bay Networks, Inc., and held positions in management and Investor Relations for Celtrix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Ms. Chapman holds a BA and MA in Political Science from the University of Oklahoma.